“I have a degree in history, which is one of the reasons I’m an auto mechanic.”
Somehow, I am only now getting into the very popular and long-running Mercy Thompson series. It’s been recommended to me for years, but I put it off…and now I am in the fortunate position of having 11 books to binge if I so choose…my library has all of the main books, but I think I’ll have to hunt down the many, many side short stories.
Can we just take a moment and lament this unfortunate cover? *eyeroll* I really, really hate cover art of this style. I literally refuse to buy physical copies of books with covers that use solely sex appeal to sell. Thankfully, there is an alternative cover version of these, which I did buy after deciding this was a series I could enjoy over the long term.
“Honey,” he drawled, pulling on his Southern roots. “When a wolf watches a lamb, he’s not thinking of the lamb’s mommy.”
I grinned. I couldn’t help it. The idea of Bran as a lamb’s mommy was too funny. “I’m not much of a lamb,” I said.
Things I Liked
- There is just so much wit infused through the entire book. I chuckled so many times and belly-laughed a few times as well. Mercy has such a dry sense of humor, I loved it.
- The age-old werewolves vs. vampires thing is present, which makes it easy for anyone remotely familiar with that mythology to jump into this story.
- Politics, brawls, and feelings – there’s a mess of all three, and I feel like there is SO MUCH backstory for all the main characters yet to be explored.
Things I Didn’t Like
- I was not entirely convinced of the attraction between Mercy and Bran. It felt a little forced. Also, I’m kind of terrified it’s going to turn into something a la Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum and her never-ending-on-again-off-again relationship.
- The guys don’t seem to entirely respect Mercy. They’re forced by circumstances to let her participate, but they keep trying to baby her. ARGH!
If You Liked…
- Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files, you’ll probably like this series. Very similar in setting, but with a female main character and different tone.
Blog | Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram |