What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We only collect the information you explicitly provide. If you create an account, you supply us with the following details:
- Email address
- Name and username
- Avatar, should you choose to upload one
- Any personal information you choose to include in your bio/profile
Collecting this information allows us to:
- Create and maintain your account.
- Respond to any support queries you submit and/or help you with any account issues.
- Send you password reset notifications.
- Display your name and avatar next to your reviews.
- Display information on your profile.
- Send you alerts for any series, books, or other items you choose to "follow".
Non-personal identification information we collect
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about a User's means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized, and other similar information.
This information is collected for logging purposes, and to allow us to block any malicious traffic.
We also collect and store any data you submit through the site, including but not limited to:
- Book reviews
- Items on your wishlist
- Logs of books you own and have read
- Any information you choose to include in your profile, comments, etc.
You have the option to make some content private, including book reviews and your user profile. If you choose to make those details private then they will not be made publicly available. If you remove or make existing content private, then copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages on the internet. If those pages are outside our control (e.g. Google cache or Internet Archive) then we cannot guarantee the privacy or removal of those pages.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our site.
Sensitive and private data exchange between the site and its users happens over a SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.
Nose Graze Limited is also PCI compliant, which means we follow a set of requirements to ensure that we maintain a secure environment.
Bookhype may store some cookies on your browser. These cookies are only so our Site can identify you and keep you logged in to your account.
Sharing your personal information
We do not sell, trade, or rent users’ personal identification information to others. Certain information may be shared with others when necessary to complete a certain action. Here’s a list of companies your information may be shared with:
- Help Scout - We may use Help Scout for email tracking and support ticket management. If you email [email protected] then your name, email address, and support query will be shared with Help Scout. All conversations are also stored on Help Scout’s servers.
- MailGun - MailGun is used for some transactional emails. Your email address may be shared with them in order for them to deliver the mail to you. They may also store your email address to keep a record of the fact this email was sent or attempted.
- reCAPTCHA (Google) - We use reCAPTCHA on login and registration pages. Your IP address and browser information will be sent to Google for analysis to help determine if you're a legitimate visitor.
We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers. For example: we may choose to display and advertise the number of people reading a certain book, but this does not identify any one User in particular.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this Site you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. Please submit requests to [email protected]
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this site, you signify your acceptance of this policy and terms of service. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use our Site. Your continued use of the site following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
This document was last updated 30 August 2020.